IT’S NOT JUST A PLACE

HATCH

IT’S A WAY OF LIFE

Header photo credit: Jolyn Smith

Announcements

Public Hearing Notice

Please take notice that the Hatch Town Planning Commission will hold a public hearing to consider the following:

SUBJECT: Short-Term Rental Ordinance Amendments

DATE: Wednesday, November 30, 2022

TIME: 7:00 PM

LOCATION: Hatch Town Hall, 49 West Center Street, Hatch, UT 84735

The proposed amendment is to create two categories for Short-Term Rentals: Owner-Occupied and Entire Dwelling Unit and to provide certain regulations for each category. Copies of the proposed amendment shall be available online or at the Town Clerk’s Office. For additional information please contact Jacie Torgersen, Hatch Town Clerk, by phone at (435) 735-4364 or by email at hatchut@scinternet.net.

Photo credit: Maggie Martinez

Settlement of Hatch

In 1872, Meltiar Hatch settled at the head of the Sevier River near the Junction of Mammoth and Asay Creeks. He engaged in stock raising and operated a water-powered sawmill. Soon, other settlers came; land was surveyed and irrigation ditches dug. Neils P Clove burned lime to make plasters for homes in the area. The first school was in the Hatch home, Abram Workman was the teacher.

During the last decade of the 1800’s a dam was built at the head of the Sevier River known as the Hatchtown Dam. The structure lasted only a short time as the dam broke about 1899 or 1900 (the exact date is not available), and the gushing water came out, taking some homes and other property that stood near the flow of the stream. The weakening condition of the dam gave time for some cautious ones to move their property to higher ground.

In 1888, the Asay Post Office was transferred to Hatch; Neils Ivor Clove was the postmaster. In 1892, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints organized the Mammoth Ward. Aaron Asay was the bishop. In 1899, the ward name was changed to Hatch Ward. From 1901-1901, The Town was moved to the present site under the leadership of Bishop Rosmus Lynn.

History of Hatch

Hatch (Garfield County) is between Panguitch and Long Valley Junction on US-89. In 1872 The Town of Aaron, also called Asay, was settled near the mouth of Asay Creek. Other early settlements in this area along the Sevier River, Asay Creek and Mammoth Creek were Proctor, Castle, Johnson, and Hatchtown. Hatchtown was settled by Meltiar Hatch Sr., and his two wives, Pamella Snyder Hatch and Mary Ann Ellis Hatch.

UPCOMING

NOVEMBER

30

Planning & Zoning Meeting @ 7PM

Agenda